Friday, April 2, 2010

HOW MUCH IS A STICK OF BUTTER??

If you are like me and surf the net far and wide for great recipes, you will come across American terms that may puzzle you. I love Martha Stewart, FoodBuzz, Joyofbaking and many other sites as well as everyday people's blogs. I always see "1 Stick of butter" and I always wonder, what the heck is a stick of butter? Here in Australia, we don't call our blocks of butter sticks. Generally the butter we use for cooking comes in a block of 250g or 500g. There are some brands like, Western Star, that sell butter in 50g portions but not individually, you will still need to purchase 200g at a time. So as math tells us, that is 4 lots of 50g portions. Would you be purchasing these portions at a cheaper price because you get less? It would be nice wouldn't, but as per usual convenience overrides price and you will pay more for the convient 50g portions. I always opt for the 250g block.
Anyway, I digress. The reason for this post is to let you know I have searched for the answer and found that a stick of butter is 113g. In the past I have whacked the full 250g block into recipes thinking this would be fine, but my disasters have proven otherwise.  I have also seen cooking shows that use the sticks and I realised quickly that it ain't the same as our blocks.
So, nex time you see a recipe that calls for 1 stick of butter, you know it calls for 113grams of butter!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that was very useful info, thank you! I've wondered that myself.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! awesome info!

Anonymous said...

Very helpful, thank you!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! The Americans do all their measurements wrong lol

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I also checked the online conversion and came up with half a cup.

glenn mead said...

Thanks for the advise - let's give it a go!

Jess said...

Fantastic love the accuracy :)

Jeanette Waters said...

Many thanks. I have been using 125 grams so now I know that's too much. Thank you for clarifying ( no pun intended).

Anonymous said...

A recipe on Pinterest call for 1 1/2 cups of butter, what is that in grams

Anonymous said...

It seems Americans have not yet discovered kitchen scales. As well as sticks of butter they use cup measurements and the American cup is 240ml whereas ours is 250ml. So another thing to be aware of when using American recipes.

Hiram said...

Yeah -- all supermarket butter sticks clearly say 4 oz and 113 grams so what's the problem?

Anonymous said...

In the US only.

Anonymous said...

Sold in 250g or 500g blocks in the rest of the would

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...